Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Breath of Fresh Air (in Texas!)

A hero at TCEQ?  Someone standing up for the citizens?  Doing what they were designed to do?

We didn't believe it either, but a letter in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says it's so.

Kudos, sir.  If there were more like you, Texans could breathe easier.

Speak for yourself

As an employee of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and a servant on behalf of the residents of Texas and the environment, I am appalled and embarrassed by the recent commentary by fellow public servant and alleged environmental caretaker Bryan Shaw, chairman of the TCEQ. (See: "Time for science in Fort Worth air discussion," June 13) Let me be clear in saying Shaw does not speak for everyone at the agency. His words and the tone in which he expresses his thoughts and opinions are divisive, irresponsible and counterproductive and do not in any way reflect where I stand on environmental issues affecting this state.

If I speak on behalf of the agency or use my official position as a sounding board to push or endorse a personal opinion, I stand a good chance of losing my job. This is an official rule -- a rule that obviously does not apply to Shaw.

-- Derek Snyder, North Richland Hills

No comments: