Monday, May 9, 2011

Open Letter to Fort Worth Candidates

And Haltom City candidates, and North Richland Hills candidates, etc..

This may be our favorite letter we have ever received.  Sounds like we have a new contributor.  Welcome aboard Mr. Haltom City Voter.  The pay sucks, but you'll sleep better at night than the politicians do.

Dear Mysterious Media Moguls of the Star Telegraph,

First, let me thank you for your effort to bring a fresh perceptive of the community news to the people of the Tarrant County. I know it is a challenging effort and you are to be commended for your diligence and vision.

This is of course election season and the media is full of endorsement letters for this candidate and that candidate. Our mail box should be filled with letters telling us the value of each of the people on the ballot. It is not. The web sites of the candidates should give us real insight to the thinking and positions of the candidates on issues of public concern. They do not. Time and again I see the same fluff repackaged.

Candidate A has three children and five grandchildren, goes to the big church on the corner, wants better economic development in the city, and less government. Candidate B has four children, four grandchildren and a dog named Frisky. He is a deacon at big church on the hill. He wants better economic development in the city, and less government. Since I am a dog lover ,I guess I should vote for Candidate B, although I like the look of the church on the corner a lot more. Give me a break!

There should be a law against including inane material in campaigns. I really don’t want to hear about your family, your church and most of the do-nothing organizations which you have blessed with your attendance. Then there is the endorsements, here I will confess to making several myself over the years. The endorsement tells me nothing other than someone thinks this candidate is a kind and gentle soul with good moral character. I can safely say that each candidate for every office will have supporters who can mimic the same lines. Truth is, for the most part, candidates are good moral people, gentle and kind; at least before their first term in office.

To the candidates I say:

I am interested in how you fought for the little guy against an unjust system. I am interested in how you defended the environment against exploitative corporations. I would delight in hearing how you spearheaded the efforts to uncover government waste and corruption. I want to hear that you have a position, any position. It’s okay if we disagree on an issue. At least I can see that you have the will to stand-up for your convictions. I think the candidates should send out a complete list of contributors with each mailing and include the same in their web sites. Don’t make me go looking for it. Be up front. Let me know who you are listening to, who your corporate friends are. The law requires that you tell the public where your campaign funds come from. Be proud of your contributors. Be honest with the voters. Don’t send me a four color portrait of your All-American family , I have one of my own, thank you.

The candidate that gets my vote will be financially supported be the community, not out of town, out of state corporations looking for favors in the coming term.

The candidate that gets my vote will have real drive for a better community with a plan to accomplish it.

Generations of Americas have fought to maintain the privilege of the vote ,at least the candidates can make the effort to earn it!

Haltom City Voter

No comments: